Judge suspends Elon Musk trial over Twitter, US kills ISIS official in Syria and flood warnings in SE Australia – as it happened

(AP: Eric Risberg)

Elon Musksay the lawyers Twitter refuses to accept the billionaire’s renewed offer of $44 billion ($69 billion) for the social media company and asks a court to halt an upcoming lawsuit.

Musk made a renewed offer to take over the business earlier this week, hoping to end a protracted legal dispute that began when he tried to pull out of the previous April deal. and that Twitter sued.

Twitter said earlier this week that it intended to complete the deal at the agreed price, but both teams are still booked for an Oct. 17 trial in Delaware on Musk’s earlier attempts to terminate the deal.

On Wednesday, the judge presiding over the case said she would continue to move towards trial because, at the time, neither side had formally decided to stop her.

Musk’s attorneys have said the trial should be adjourned to give Musk more time to secure funding.

“Twitter won’t take yes for an answer,” said the court filing signed by Musk’s attorney, Edward Micheletti.

“Amazingly, they insisted on pursuing this litigation, recklessly putting the deal at risk and playing with the interests of their shareholders.”

Since Twitter sued Musk to force him to complete the purchase after he tried to pull out four months ago, the San Francisco-based company – whose shareholders voted to approve the deal – is unlikely to withdraw from the agreement.

If anything, it’s likely that Twitter is seeking assurances from Musk’s side that this time he’s serious and won’t walk away, but the company has yet to comment.

Comments are closed.